- Emeritus Professor at the Australian National University (ANU) and Senior Research Fellow at the Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Pro to the question "Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?"
“We are not saying the astronomical forces of our solar system or geological processes have disappeared, but in terms of their impact in such a short period of time they are now negligible compared with our own influence…
[W]hile other forces operate over millions of years, we as humans are having an impact at the same strength as the many of these other forces, but in the timeframe of just a couple of centuries.
The human magnitude of climate change looks more like a meteorite strike than a gradual change.”
Melissa Davey, “Humans Causing Climate to Change 170 Times Faster Than Natural Forces,” guardian.com, Feb. 12, 2017
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of climate. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of climate.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Emeritus Professor, Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University (ANU)
- Senior Research Fellow, Stockholm Resilience Centre
- Climate Councillor, Climate Council of Australia
- Climate Commissioner, Australian Government’s Climate Commission, 2011-2013
- Executive Director, ANU Climate Change Institute, 2008-2012
- Member, Multi-Party Climate Change Committee (MPCCC), 2010-11
- Founding Director, Fenner School of Environment and Society, ANU, 2005-2008
- Former Visiting Fellow, Bureau of Rural Sciences, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Australian Government
- Chief Scientist, International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP), 2004-2006
- Executive Director, IGBP, 1998-2004
- Worked on the Terrestrial Ecosystems Project, IGBP, 1990-1998
- Former Scientist, CSIRO Division of Environmental Mechanics
- Research Fellow, Research School of Chemistry, ANU, 1977-1980
- Former Postdoctoral Fellow, Cornell University
- PhD, University of Florida, 1975
- MSc, University of Florida, 1972
- BSc, University of Missouri
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?