- United States Senator (R-OK)
- Con to the question "Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?"
“I am going to speak today about the most media-hyped environmental issue of all time, global warming…
The media have missed the big pieces of the puzzle when it comes to the Earth’s temperatures and mankind’s carbon dioxide (C02) emissions. It is very simplistic to feign horror and say the one degree Fahrenheit temperature increase during the 20th century means we are all doomed. First of all, the one degree Fahrenheit rise coincided with the greatest advancement of living standards, life expectancy, food production and human health in the history of our planet. So it is hard to argue that the global warming we experienced in the 20th century was somehow negative or part of a catastrophic trend.
Second, what the climate alarmists and their advocates in the media have continued to ignore is the fact that the Little Ice Age, which resulted in harsh winters which froze New York Harbor and caused untold deaths, ended about 1850. So trying to prove man-made global warming by comparing the well-known fact that today’s temperatures are warmer than during the Little Ice Age is akin to comparing summer to winter to show a catastrophic temperature trend.
In addition, something that the media almost never addresses are the holes in the theory that C02 has been the driving force in global warming. Alarmists fail to adequately explain why temperatures began warming at the end of the Little Ice Age in about 1850, long before man-made CO2 emissions could have impacted the climate. Then about 1940, just as man-made CO2 emissions rose sharply, the temperatures began a decline that lasted until the 1970’s, prompting the media and many scientists to fear a coming ice age.
Let me repeat, temperatures got colder after C02 emissions exploded. If C02 is the driving force of global climate change, why do so many in the media ignore the many skeptical scientists who cite these rather obvious inconvenient truths?”
“Hot & Cold Media Spin: A Challenge to Journalists Who Cover Global Warming,” epw.senate.gov, Sep. 25, 2006
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of climate. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of climate.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, US Senate (R-OK), 1994-present
- Member, US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works
- Ranking Member, US Senate Committee on Armed Services
- US Representative (R-OK), Jan. 3, 1987-Nov. 15, 1994
- Mayor, Tulsa (OK), 1978-1984
- Member, Oklahoma State Senate, 1969-1977
- Member, Oklahoma State House of Representatives, 1967-1969
- Most Outstanding Conservative US Senator Award, American Conservative Union
- Lifetime Service Award, Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association
- Freinds of the Taxpayer Award, National Taxpayers Association
- Friends of the Farm Bureau Award, American Farm Bureau
- Keeper of the Flame Award, Center for Security Policy
- BA, Economics, University of Tulsa, 1973
- Born in Des Moines, Iowa, Nov. 17, 1934
- Introduced the “Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act” with Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), signed into law Nov. 27, 2006
- Compared the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) and Animal Liberation Front (ALF) to Al-Qaeda in a statement to the US Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, May 18, 2005
- Stated that “catastrophic global warming is a hoax” in a July 28, 2003 press release
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?