- Chairman of the Alliance for Climate Protection and former Vice President of the United States
- Pro to the question "Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?"
“[T]he scientific enterprise will never be completely free of mistakes. What is important is that the overwhelming consensus on global warming remains unchanged…
Here is what scientists have found is happening to our climate: man-made global-warming pollution traps heat from the sun and increases atmospheric temperatures. These pollutants – especially carbon dioxide – have been increasing rapidly with the growth in the burning of coal, oil, natural gas and forests, and temperatures have increased over the same period. Almost all of the ice-covered regions of the Earth are melting – and seas are rising. Hurricanes are predicted to grow stronger and more destructive, though their number is expected to decrease. Droughts are getting longer and deeper in many mid-continent regions, even as the severity of flooding increases. The seasonal predictability of rainfall and temperatures is being disrupted, posing serious threats to agriculture. The rate of species extinction is accelerating to dangerous levels…
From the standpoint of governance, what is at stake is our ability to use the rule of law as an instrument of human redemption.”
“We Can’t Wish Away Climate Change,” New York Times, Feb. 27, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of climate. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to the study of climate.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Founder and Chairman of the Board, Alliance for Climate Protection
- Co-founder and Chairman, Generation Investment Management
- Chairman, Current TV
- Co-recipient, Nobel Peace Prize, 2007
- Board Member, Apple Computer, Inc.
- Senior Adviser, Google, Inc.
- Visiting Professor, Middle Tennessee State University
- Democratic candidate for President of the United States, 2000
- Vice President of the United States, 1992-2000
- Member, US Senate (D-TN), 1984-1992
- Member, US House of Representatives (D-TN) 6th District, 1982-1984
- Member, US House of Representatives (D-TN) 4th District, 1976-1982
- Journalist, US Army (served in Vietnam), 1969-1971
- Attended Vanderbilt Law School, 1974-1976
- Attended Vanderbilt University Divinity School, 1971-1972
- BA, Government, Harvard University, 1969
- Contact Info:
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Is Human Activity Primarily Responsible for Global Climate Change?